Who is eligible to apply?
Starting in Fall 2020, City Scholars is open to undergraduate students from Illinois Institute of Technology and UIC’s College of Engineering who study Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or similar majors on each campus. You will only be granted admission to this limited program if you can make a viable course schedule for the semester using the courses offered specifically for the City Scholars program. Specific selection for the program is necessary from your home institution.
What do I need to apply?
These are recommended criteria for student applicants:
- 3.2 GPA recommended
- Junior or Senior credit standing
- Agree to enroll in mandatory, three-credit hours City Scholars course (TE 360) that meets synchronously from 11am-1pm on Thursdays
- Required courses:
- UIC required courses: contact Kailin Potter (email@example.com)
- Illinois Tech required courses: at least one OOP course
- An updated resume
- Statement of Interest that explains why you are interested in the City Scholars program.
- Copy of recent unofficial transcript or academic progress report
When can I apply?
You will apply to participate in City Scholars the semester before joining the program in Chicago. Applications for the Spring 2021 semester will be available in late September 2020.
Where do I apply?
Applications are submitted directly to your academic advisor and a City Scholars point person at your home institution.
- UIC Students: Please contact Kailin Potter (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Illinois Tech Students: Please contact Desmend Jetton (email@example.com).
After I apply what are the next steps?
All applications are reviewed by faculty and/or academic advisors from your campus. After review, selected students are notified if they have been selected to participate in City Scholars. Students are asked to confirm their participation in the program by accepting the placement, attending required pre-program meetings, and enrolling directly in City Scholars program courses.
Calendar of events for accepted students
|April 30th, 2020||City Scholars student selection process completed for DPI partner universities|
|May 13th, 2020||City Scholars pre-program meeting for students from DPI partner universities|
|June 1st, 2020||Registration opens for official City Scholars courses|
|August 24th, 2020||First day of class.|
City Scholars Orientation at Discovery Partners Institute
When will I know for sure if I have been selected?
Selected students will be notified by May 13th that they have been admitted into the program. The City Scholars program will work with you on course registration after that time.
Are all student candidates who apply guaranteed acceptance into the program?
Acceptance is not guaranteed. This pilot program has space for only 12-20 students each from UIC and IIT.