City Scholars leverages University of Illinois’ nationally renowned College of Engineering to build Chicago’s tech pipeline.
Who Are City Scholars
- University of Illinois Engineering Juniors and Seniors.
- 2019 Majors included: Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, and Computer Engineering. Additional 2020 Majors considered: Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering, Industrial & Enterprise Systems Engineering, Physics
- Top students who can balance living in Chicago, taking classes, and interning.
- Future leaders who want to have a role in Chicago’s tech ecosystem.
City Scholars Program Overview
- Illinois students available to work 20 hours per week in Chicago offices during spring or fall semesters.
- Option to extend semester internship into summer or full time offers.
- Illinois provides online and in-person classes in Chicago, keeping students on track to graduate.
- Leading faculty connect classroom theory to practical application.
- Our cohort experience connects them directly to executives, experts, and civic leaders who make Chicago thrive.
Company Commitment and Student Recruiting
Companies that partner with Illinois Engineering for the City Scholars program will pay students a pre-set hourly wage for 20 hours per week. A program fee for each student hired helps offset the costs of student instruction and programming in Chicago. Students will be admitted to the City Scholars program based on an assessment of their academic transcript and résumé. Companies will have an opportunity to meet and select student interns through networking sessions and one-on-one interviews.
Timeline for Corporate Participation
Partnerships available for Spring and Fall 2020 Internship Programs
Spring 2020 Semester
January 21, 2020 – May 6, 2020
|January 22, 2020||First day of internship|
|May 6, 2020||Last day of internship|
May 18, 2020 – August 21, 2020 . For companies interested in offering continued internships (no program fee required)
Fall 2020 Semester
Partnerships Available Now!
August 21, 2020 – December 9, 2020
|February 14, 2020||Last chance for new companies to commit |
to Fall 2020 program
|February 21, 2020 – |
March 27, 2020
|Review and interview period for|
|March 3, 2020||Networking event; |
on campus interviews optional March 3-4
|March 27, 2020||Matching preference deadline|
|April 1, 2020||Matches announced|
|August 25, 2020||First day of internship|
|December 9, 2020||Last day of internship|
For More Details and 2020 Program Rates
Director, City Scholars Program
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign