City Scholars leverages University of Illinois’ nationally renowned College of Engineering to build Chicago’s tech pipeline.
Who Are City Scholars
- University of Illinois Engineering Juniors and Seniors.
- Majors included: Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, and Computer Engineering. Additional Majors considered: Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering, Industrial & Enterprise Systems Engineering, Physics
- Top students who can balance living in Chicago, taking classes, and interning.
- Future leaders who want to have a role in Chicago’s tech ecosystem.
City Scholars Program Overview
- Illinois students available to work 20 hours per week in Chicago offices during spring or fall semesters.
- Option to extend semester internship into summer or full time offers.
- Illinois provides online and in-person classes in Chicago, keeping students on track to graduate.
- Leading faculty connect classroom theory to practical application.
- Our cohort experience connects them directly to executives, experts, and civic leaders who make Chicago thrive.
Company Commitment and Student Recruiting
Companies that partner with Illinois Engineering for the City Scholars program will pay students a pre-set hourly wage for 20 hours per week. A program fee for each student hired helps offset the costs of student instruction and programming in Chicago. Students will be admitted to the City Scholars program based on an assessment of their academic transcript and résumé. Companies will have an opportunity to meet and select student interns through networking sessions and one-on-one interviews.
Timeline for Corporate Participation
Partnerships available for Spring and Fall 2021 Internship Programs
January 26, 2021 – May 5, 2021
|September 9-10, 2020||Grainger Engineering Virtual Career Fair (optional)|
|September 24, 2020||Recommended deadline to commit to 2021 programs|
|November 4 – December 4, 2020||UPDATED TIMELINE!|
Review and interview period for companies
|Week of November 9 and 16, 2020||Virtual Networking events|
|December 4, 2020||Matching preference deadline|
|December 4, 2020||Matches announced|
|January 26, 2021||UPDATED TIMELINE! First day of internship (reflects University of Illinois revised 2021 calendar|
|May 5, 2021||Last day of internship|
May 17, 2021 – August 20, 2021 . For companies interested in offering continued internships (no program fee required)
Fall 2021 Semester
August 24, 2021 – December 8, 2021
|March 15, 2021||Last chance for new companies to commit to Fall 2021 program|
|March 22, 2021 – |
April 26, 2021
|Review and interview period for participating companies|
|Week of March 29, 2021||Virtual networking events|
|April 26, 2021||Matching preference deadline|
|April 30, 2021||Matches announced|
|August 24, 2021||First day of internship|
|December 8, 2021||Last day of internship|
For More Details and 2021 Program Rates
Director, City Scholars Program
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign