City Scholars leverages University of Illinois’ nationally renowned College of Engineering to build Chicago’s tech pipeline.
Who Are City Scholars
- University of Illinois Engineering Juniors and Seniors.
- Majors included: Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, and Computer Engineering. Additional Majors considered: Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering, Industrial & Enterprise Systems Engineering, Engineering Physics, Mechanical Engineering and Engineering Mechanics
- Top students who can balance living in Chicago, taking classes, and interning.
- Future leaders who want to have a role in Chicago’s tech ecosystem.
City Scholars Program Overview
- Illinois students available to work 20 hours per week in Chicago offices during spring or fall semesters.
- Option to extend semester internship into summer or full time offers.
- Illinois provides online and in-person classes in Chicago, keeping students on track to graduate.
- Leading faculty connect classroom theory to practical application.
- Our cohort experience connects them directly to executives, experts, and civic leaders who make Chicago thrive.
Company Commitment and Student Recruiting
Companies that partner with Illinois Engineering for the City Scholars program will pay students a pre-set hourly wage for 20 hours per week. A program fee for each student hired helps offset the costs of student instruction and programming in Chicago. Students will be admitted to the City Scholars program based on an assessment of their academic transcript and résumé. Companies will have an opportunity to meet and select student interns through networking sessions and one-on-one interviews.
Timeline for Corporate Participation
Partnerships available for Spring and Fall 2022 Internship Programs
Spring 2023 Semester
January 17, 2022 – May 3, 2023
|September 13 and 14, 2022||Grainger Engineering Career Fair (optional)|
|September 21, 2022||Recommended deadline to commit to 2023 programs|
|September 30 – November 11, 2022||Review and interview period for companies|
|October 13, 2022**Updated date||In-person networking event with candidates|
|November 11, 2022||Matching preference deadline|
|November 16, 2022||Matches announced|
|January 17, 2023||First day of internship|
|May 3, 2023||Last day of internship|
May 2023 – August 21, 2023. For companies interested in offering continued internships (no program fee required)
Fall 2023 Semester
August 21, 2023 – December 6, 2023
|February 19, 2023||Last chance for new companies to commit to Fall 2023 program|
|February 24, 2023 – |
April 21, 2023
|Review and interview period for participating companies|
|March 22, 2023||In-person networking event with candidates|
|April 21, 2023||Matching preference deadline|
|April 25, 2023||Matches announced|
|August 21, 2023||First day of internship|
|December 6, 2023||Last day of internship|
For More Details and 2023 Program Rates
Director, City Scholars Program
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign