Compensation and Hours
- All City Scholars interns are paid a rate within the City Scholars approved range of $25-45 per hour. That rate is agreed to in the contract signed by each participating company.
- If an intern decides to continue employment after the duration of the City Scholars internship, the same
hourly rate no longer applies and may be adjusted.
- City Scholars interns are expected to work 20 hours per week.
Semester Events and Academic Schedule
- The schedule of City Scholars student events can be viewed HERE. You may use this as a general resource to see important dates for the City Scholars students.
- You are encouraged to work directly with your intern to set their schedule. City Scholars classes are set up so that students may work two full days (8 hours) and one half day (4 hours) or 3 partial days totaling no more than 20 hours each week.
- It is not acceptable for students to make up missed hours due to vacation or office closures by working more than 20 hours in one week.
- You are encouraged to allow students to take off work during breaks that occur during the semester. Those breaks are Thanksgiving week in the fall and Spring Break in the spring. Exact dates can be located on the University’s academic calendar.
- Final exams will be administered in Chicago. The dates for final exams are indicated on the semester academic calendar. Internships should have concluded before Reading Day (the day immediately preceding the first day of exams).
Resources Available to City Scholars Students
- City Scholars take classes at the Discovery Partners Institute, 200 S Wacker. They have 24/7 access to this facility for study spaces, group projects, etc.
- All City Scholars have access to facilities and services provided to UIC students, regardless of whether they are living onor off-campus. These resources include the Student Health center, Recreation facilities, tutoring services, counseling services, libraries and computer labs.
- City Scholars are also provided with a U-Pass for the semester. This gives them unlimited rides on CTA buses and trains during academic semester. It does not cover Metra trains.
Information for International Student Interns
• All international students must apply for Curricular practical training (CPT). The process to apply for CPT through the University is outlined on their website. Students must also enroll in the City Scholars section of ENG 310 as part of their CPT requirements.