Partner with City Scholars
City Scholars leverages University of Illinois’ nationally renowned College of Engineering to build Chicago’s tech pipeline.
University of Illinois Engineering graduates are fueling today’s top companies – but not enough of them are reinvesting their skills and building their careers in Chicago long term. Partnering with the City Scholars program can help you identify, hire, and retain some of the world’s most talented engineers and computer scientists to compete with coastal markets and build Chicago’s tech workforce
City Scholars Program Overview
- UIUC students available to work in Chicago offices during fall or spring semesters.
- Interns work 20 hours per week in your Chicago office.
- Option to extend semester internship into summer or full time offers.
- Illinois provides online and in-person classes in Chicago, keeping students on track to graduate.
- Leading faculty connect classroom theory to practical application
- Our cohort experience connects them directly to executives, experts, and civic leaders who make Chicago thrive.
Company Commitment and Student Recruiting
Companies that partner with Illinois Engineering on the City Scholars program will pay students a pre-set hourly wage for 20 hours per week. A program fee for each student hired helps offset the costs of student instruction and programming in Chicago. Students will be admitted to the City Scholars program based on an assessment of their transcript and résumé. Companies will have an opportunity to meet and select student interns through networking sessions and one-on-one interviews.
Fall 2019 Timeline for Corporate Participation
February 15 – Deadline for Companies to commit to the program. Application deadline for students.
March 6 – Networking event (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
March 6-March 13 – Option to interview City Scholars students(University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
March 15 – Matching preference deadline
March 19 – Matches announced
August 27 – First day of internship
December 11 – Last day of internship
Who Are City Scholars
- University of Illinois Engineering Juniors and Seniors
- Majors included: Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, and Computer Engineering
- Top students who can balance living in Chicago, taking classes, and interning.
- Future leaders who want to have a role in Chicago’s tech ecosystem.