Information for All City Scholars Faculty
Through the City Scholars program, juniors and Seniors within The Grainger College of Engineering compete for internships in Chicago’s tech sector in fields like software engineering, data science, trading, and analysis. Once accepted and placed with a company, City Scholars spend a semester living, working, and studying in Chicago. Students receive credit for a full course-load and are paid for their work. Companies get a first look at top students and a chance to train students throughout a 16 week semester as well as traditional summer internships.
- Students work 20 hours each week at a company partner
- Students are enrolled in 12-16 credits during this semester
- Students are also required to participate in several activities and events designed to help them meet and learn about Chicago technology companies – many of which you are welcome to attend if interested
- Please do not change class times or dates without consulting the students and City Scholars staff on availability
- Consider offering exam times outside of 9am-5pm to accommodate student work schedules
- Exam proctoring throughout the semester can be arranged, as long as proper notice is provided. Contact Charles Neiss with proctoring needs.
- Final exams will be administered in Chicago by City Scholars staff.
- Please ensure that all students are provided with a course syllabus that outlines exam dates and procedures that are specific to the City Scholars cohort.
- Zoom can be used to conduct discussions or office hours over webcam.
- City Scholars staff will conduct a mid-semester faculty check-in to identify any problems with delivering your course.
City Scholars Programming
- Faculty are welcome to participate in weekly TE360 lunches on Thursdays from 11:00am-1:00pm. If you plan on attending, please notify Charles Neiss a week in advance.
Information for Faculty Teaching Remotely from Urbana Champaign
- Please make sure the classroom you are teaching in is equipped and tested for lecture capture.
Information for Faculty Traveling to Chicago
The preferred method of travel between Urbana-Champaign and DPI is UI Ride. This service is operated by the U of I System and conducts three round-trips each business day between Chicago and Urbana-Champaign.
Trips can be booked online and billed directly to City Scholars. Riders must familarize themselves with and agree to the Cancellation Policy for UI Ride.
- Cancellations must be made at least one hour before your scheduled departure either on the UI Ride online reservation system or via email at email@example.com to avoid the full cost of the travel reservation.
- Missing a departure trip does not automatically cancel the associated return trip. It is the traveler’s responsibility to make any changes or cancellations.
- Refunds will not be issued for trips that are missed and/or not canceled in accordance with this policy.
To book a ride, log-in to the UI Ride website with your University credentials, input your travel details and proceed to the payment page. Once on the payment page, select “CFOP” and enter the numbers exactly as shown below.
- Vehicles are available to rent through University Motor Pool for travel to and from Chicago. You may contact Charles Neiss (firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance with reservation.
- Spothero is a great option for finding heavily discounted parking near Discovery Partners Institute. You can reserve spots via their app or their website. If you have a University T-card, you may use it on Spothero, or you may use your personal card and file for reimbursement.
- Discovery Partners Institute is one block from Union Station. Amtrak trains run regularly between Champaign and Chicago. Trains tend to arrive behind schedule in Chicago, so allow for extra travel time when coming to Chicago from Champaign.
For questions about travel expenses and other reimbursement, contact your department’s business office:
Computer Science: 2210 Siebel Center, (217) 333-0195
Electrical & Computer Engineering: 2120 ECE Building, (217) 333-8060
Discovery Partners Institute Access
- The address for Discovery Partners Institute is 200 S. Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL 60606. Classrooms are located on the 4th floor.
- The building is secured access. An access badge will be created for you by Discovery Partners Institute staff. If you do not have your access badge before arriving at Discovery Partners Institute for the first time, your name will be added to the access list at the building security desk. When you arrive at the building, go to the security desk in the lobby, present ID and you will receive a temporary pass to access the 4th floor.
- Faculty lounges are available for use. These are available for faculty to use for work space during their time at the Discovery Partners Institute.
- Wifi network access is the same as on campus.
- A copier/scanner is available for use.
- Whiteboards and markers are available for each classroom and meeting room.