Congratulations! You have been selected as a candidate to participate in the Fall 2022 Engineering City Scholars cohort. Now what?
Admission into the City Scholars program is the first step in the process to becoming a City Scholar. However, you are not officially a City Scholar until you complete the following steps:
1. Attend networking event
2. Interview with companies
3. Match with a company
Fall 2022 Timeline
|February 28 – April 11, 2022||Review and interview period for companies|
|March 23 @ 5:00pm||On-campus Networking Event|
|April 18 @ 4:00pm (UPDATED)||“How-to Submit Rankings” info session|
|April 22 @ 5:00pm (UPDATED)||Deadline to submit rankings|
|April 25 (UPDATED)||Matches announced|
|August 22||City Scholars Orientation/First Day of Classes|
|August 23||First day of internship|
|December 7||Last day of internship|
STEP ONE: Networking Event
- This event is a chance for you to learn about the internship(s) the company is offering so that you may make an informed decision about which companies to rank and where to intern.
- This will be a career fair style event. Candidates will be able to rotate among the companies to visit with representatives who will speak about the company and available internship(s).
- These are not short interviews.
- Participation in this event is strongly recommended in order to proceed in the City Scholars matching process. However, you are not guaranteed an internship. You will need to participate in the interviewing process and be selected by a company for an internship.
- Internship descriptions are posted online. There is not time during the networking event to ask basic questions – prepare ahead of time! Review the internship descriptions and research the companies to be prepared.
- These internships are unique internships that are only available to City Scholar students (not available on Handshake!).
- All employers have been provided access to your resume, but be sure to bring extra copies of your resume to the event. We will not have computers/printers/copiers available for you to use.
- What to wear/what to bring: Please dress in business casual attire and bring resumes as well as your schedule in case you need to arrange an interview.
- Some companies will schedule next day interviews during the Networking Event.
- Bring your calendar. You are expected to know your schedule so that you can schedule interviews.
- Some companies may choose to conduct phone/video interviews and will follow up with you in the days following the event to schedule those interviews.
- Remember, if you sign up on paper or give a verbal agreement to have an interview, you are to have already checked your schedule to ensure you can attend. Reminders and interview confirmations will not be sent to you, as there is not enough time between the scheduling and the interview. Missing a scheduled interview is not acceptable and will result in your Handshake account being deactivated.
STEP TWO: Interviews
Interviews are scheduled individually by each company. They will be conducted any time up until April 22, 2022. Note that students are selected by companies for interviews, and interviews are not guaranteed.
Remember, if you sign up or give a verbal agreement to have an interview, you are to have already checked your schedule to ensure you can attend. Reminders and interview confirmations will likely not be sent to you, as there is not enough time between the scheduling and the interview. Missing a scheduled interview is not acceptable and will result in your Handshake account being deactivated.
You are encouraged to review the Interview Preparation material on the Engineering Career Services website to help you prepare for your interviews.
STEP THREE: Matching
Once interviews have been completed, you will be asked to rank your internship preferences. The ranking, which is the final step in the City Scholars process, is done online through a web form. These preferences are due April 22, 2022 by 5:00pm. If you no longer wish to participate in the Fall 2022 cohort, simply notify the program via email and do not submit rankings to the algorithm.
Please note that submission of your preferences indicates your full intent to participate in the Fall 2022 City Scholars program if you are matched to any of the companies you rank. Only rank a company if you would commit to working there. You may not withdraw from the program after submitting your preferences. If you are matched with an internship, you will be notified of the internship match on April 25, 2022.
To better understand the matching process, we suggest watching this video that describes a process like the one we use.