City Scholars participants are responsible for securing and paying for their own housing.
For students who need assistance with sub-leasing while they are participating in City Scholars, we suggest reviewing the guide on Tenant Union. Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange operates a Housing Board that is accessible via the Resources section of their website. City Scholars will also promote participant’s sub-leasing listings to Engineering exchange students.
Students in the Spring 2019 who did not live on UIC’s campus reported the following information about their housing arrangements:
- Median rent is $1150 per month for a private room
- Most units (but not all) come with furniture
- About half of those rents do not include utilities, which average $75 a month
- Median off-campus commute to work is 15 minutes
UIC Housing at SSR
The official program housing option is available at the University of Illinois at Chicago in the Single Student Residence Hall. UIC Housing is very accommodating to City Scholars students and provides a reliable and safe housing option. We strongly recommend this option. Benefits associated with this option include:
- City Scholar staff help in facilitating the housing process with UIC.
- Housing Fees will be billed directly to your student account.
- Includes all utilities and laundry.
- Live in the same wing as other City Scholars (good for homework, commuting buddies and study groups)
- Access to UIC campus facilities (rec center, health center, libraries, computer labs, etc) within easy reach
University of Illinois at Chicago–Single Student Residence Hall
809 South Damen Ave.
Chicago, Illinois 60612
UIC Housing info for Fall 2021
- Rates include all utilities, furniture, cable, internet and laundry and are quoted below as per semester, per person:
- 2 person apartment: $5,092.50
- 3 person apartment: $4,989.50
- 2/3 person efficiency apartment: $4,344.50
Other Private Housing in Chicago
Some student-focused, private housing complexes offer semester-length leases. The following complexes are also options for students. This list is intended solely as a resource guide for you. Availability is not guaranteed. You will need to contact each property to inquire about availability. The City Scholars Program does not endorse any of the housing providers listed below, nor can the program help arrange housing with them.
- Presidential Towers
- 555 W. Madison Street, Chicago, IL 60661
- University Center
- 525 South State Street, Chicago, IL 60605
- Scio Chicago
- 901 South Ashland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60607
- The Flats
- 829 South Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60605
- Infinite Chicago
- 28 E. Jackson Blvd., Chicago, IL 60604